Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. There's a lot of other things you could be doing right now...like cleaning, or watching a movie, or writing your own blog. But you chose to spend your time reading mine. For this I thank you! (Hopefully this doesn't make you rethink your decision :)

Proverb-free Friday (a day late & a dollar short)

I think the best way to find out important information about your close friends is to read about in on facebook. Isn't that the best? You're having your first child? Great, I'd love to see a picture of the stick that you peed on. Oh, you got engaged today? Perfect! Don't bother calling me, save the text charge...I already read about it on facebook. Going to Bible college it was by no means a rare occasion for someone to get engaged on a daily basis. The promise was, "A ring by spring or your money back!" after all. (Don't believe it, though, I never did see a dime of tuition reimbursed). There were some interesting proposals at least. I remember a girl I sat next to in class wearing a diamond one day. I said to her, "Huh... did you have that ring on yesterday?"
"Oh, no. I got engaged last night at the mall, in the Thomas Kinkade gallery!"
Oh... huh. Not where I would have picked but, "Congratulations!!!"
One time another girl that had just moved on my hall sat down for a heart-to-heart talk with me and asked, "Whats the deal with everyone at this school getting engaged? Aren't we hear to learn more about God?"
I said, "Finally... someone who understands!"
Literally three weeks later she came to me all excited and said, "Guess what? I just got engaged! He proposed in aisle 12 at K-Mart. Isnt' that sweet??"
Yeah, probably not the first word that comes to mind.
Thankfully now we don't even need to have these interactions-- thanks to the big FB we can just see someone's status change from 'single' to 'in a relationship' to 'engaged', maybe all in the same week if its true love :)
Dating at a christian college was quite an experience. I think God got blamed for a lot of stuff that He probably had nothing to do with. For example:
"Listen, Joe, I really really want to keep dating you but God told me to break up with you. Sorry. If you have a problem you'll have to take it up with the creator of the universe."
or "You want to go out with me on Friday night? I would go on a date with you right you but right now I am dating Jesus."
and my personal favorite, "You seem like a really nice girl, but I actually just recently kissed dating goodbye."
I think if I could do it all over again I would have kissed a little more in general and kissed dating goodbye a little less. What did Joshua Harris know? He got married less than a year after he wrote that book.
Poor guy, suffering all that time for Jesus.
One time when I was trying to break up with a guy he actually said, "What? But God told me you were the One! I guess I don't believe in God anymore."
Wow, now I've heard it all.
So, what are some crazy dating/engagement stories you have? I would love to hear them!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love how in "christian circles" people don't date unless they are basically 100% sure they are going to marry the person. but then, they get in a relationship and they realize they have no idea how to date except this fairy tale picture they have in their heads which never pans out! That's my experience. There's never any, 'hey, lets get to know each other as people and if it works out, great. if not, oh well'. unfortunately, i was totally in that group until about 5 years ago when i realized that i had no idea what i was looking for in a guy! so i let go of it and went 'against that Christian grain'...

after a year of dating my last boyfriend, everyone at church assumed that any minute i'd be getting engaged. instead, we broke up. :) all for the best. but i think meeting someone skydiving is pretty cool. :)