Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. There's a lot of other things you could be doing right now...like cleaning, or watching a movie, or writing your own blog. But you chose to spend your time reading mine. For this I thank you! (Hopefully this doesn't make you rethink your decision :)

"Don't jump to conclusions—there may be a perfectly good explanation for what you just saw." -Proverbs 25:8

This verse seems like common sense but lately I have realized how easy it is to assume things...and we all know what assuming does!
These days its really hard to tell when people are crazy because you never know if they are just talking loudly to themselves or perhaps they have a bluetooth in their ear you can't see. In the good old days, you could just assume they were crazy.
The other day I was listening to music on my ipod as I walked into the church office. I shut the door behind me and a few seconds later one of the ladies from our church came in behind me. I took the headphones out of my ears to say hello to her. She turned around, saw my ipod, and said, "Oh, thank goodness. I had assumed you were being rude when I tried talking to you earlier and you didn't answer. I even yelled for you to keep the door open and you just shut it behind you". In this case, I was on the receiving end of conclusion jumping, and I'm glad I cleared up that misunderstanding. It would be terrible for someone out there to be thinking that I was snobby. Is it too late to 'pologize? :)
You just never know what the reason is for people doing what they do. For example, I have been honked at before because I was driving too slow when transporting food that I didn't want sloshing around in my car. Now when some grandma is driving like a snail in front of me, I just assume she must have a crockpot of stew in the back seat.
It is very freeing to think of all the 'perfectly good explanations for what you just saw'. There is always two sides to the story. Like that cashier that was less than friendly to you at the checkout counter...maybe rather than assuming they should get an attitude adjustment you could ask how they are doing. You might just find out that their medical test came back positive today, or their boyfriend just broke up with them, or their favorite cat just died.
Maybe instead of assuming, we can be just a little more understanding.
So, remember to keep an open mind and whatever you do...don't jump to conclusions without a bungee cord!

3 comments:

Shauna said...

I like it. Good word Elaina!

Seth said...

A Jump to Conclusions Mat! I can't believe you can post that without mentioning Office Space.

Elaina said...

I know Seth! I spent a while on youtube trying to find a clip to post from that scene without any swears but no luck :( At least the true fans know.